WHAT IS CREDENTIAL STUFFING?
Credential stuffing is a method of cyber-attack in which an automated injection of credentials is obtained from a data breach from one service to log in into another service. Credentials stolen from a website with a low profile is highly likely to work on services that contain more sensitive information as people tend to not tinker with their username and passwords across services.
THREATS TO YOUR BUSINESS
Thanks to their effect on accessibility and User interface, many businesses oppose stronger security initiatives. Browser authentication process takes time and frustrates site users, but 30 percent of companies can't detect or prevent certificate inventory attacks— making their customers and their businesses face a breach of privacy and authentication. If your organization faces a credential stuffing attack, it affects the reputation severely. It can lead to the company facing financial losses as in:
- Fraudulent purchases and eventual resales
- Fines imposed under GDPR guidelines and reparations
- Business Email Compromise scams and account takeover
- Remediation costs and fees incurred
- Revenues losses due to downtime
When under attack, the first instinct is to check for the symptoms causing the attack, so here are some of the signs the companies should be on the lookout for:
- In a limited time frame, check for changes in site traffic such as multiple login attempts on many accounts.
- Do not ignore cases in which you are experiencing a higher than a common login failure.
- Be aware of any registered downtime due to increased traffic on the site.
Credential stuffing needs special attention as it could cause economic losses and also image getting tarnished. Some of the methods to prevent the credentials from getting into unwanted hands are:
- Unique Passwords- Service providing companies can suggest their users during account set up to provide unique passwords. To be sure of being secure run a submitted password against a database of known compromised passwords before accepting the password.
- Added Login Security- Nowadays two-step verification and reCAPTCHA are some of the newly added security features used to protect the credentials from a probable breach. Setting up these methods though increases user inconveniences but on the flip side ensures a better protection against malicious bots.
- Bot Management- It uses rate limitation in connection with an IP reputation base to prevent malicious logins without affecting legitimate logins.
HOW DOES HUMANBOT HELP ?
If you are looking for a solution to eliminate credential stuffing, Humanbot has the right services for you. Our software is easy to use and provides strong security, including risk-based authentication, bot identification, multi-factor authentication, and other safeguards.
At Humanbot, we have got you covered with all your Cyber Security needs as we have expertise from Software to the Hardware components that will mitigate the risks from these attacks.
WANT TO START A PROJECT?